Well, hey there.

I’m Kelsey DeLange: wife, mother, encourager, and the artist behind Honey and the Hive. Welcome to By Honey and the Hive, a lifestyle journal dedicated to living intentionally, crafting a beautiful life, and seeking magic in the every day.

Kelsey DeLange

Honeybee Day to Day: Apple Orchard

Things are in full holiday swing in the Honey and the Hive studio and I've been working around the clock on new art and sending off orders to all of you lovely folks.  I absolutely love this time of year and to see the incredible amount of support that everyone shows to the handmade community around the holidays.  Nothing fills my heart up quite the way that does.

With how busy I've been, I thought it was important to take some time this past week to go do something unrelated to art or my business that I love to do as a way to sort of cleanse my palette and refresh the good ol' mind and spirit before diving back into my work this week.  So this weekend, along with my good friend Alycia, in true Michigander form, we headed to the apple orchard.



Sometimes I'm convinced that autumn time in Michigan is magical.  The air is always crisp and it's the perfect time of year to break out some of my favorite flowy skirts like this one from Shop Ruche or bundle up in a cozy sweater.  Getting to step outside and see all the beautiful color-changing foliage is endlessly inspiring, and just what I need to get a little refresher.


One of my favorite things to do after a day like today is to come home and make a batch of homemade apple cider.  I love the way that the smell fills my home and there's nothing quite as good as a hot glass of cider.  I thought I would share my favorite recipe with you!



So, if you want a little cup of heaven, here's what you'll need:
8-10 Red Apples (you can choose what kind!)
3/4 C of Sugar
2 TSP Nutmeg
4 TSP All Spice
4 TSP Cinnamon
Cinnamon Sticks for Garnish
Whipped Cream (I like the can, but you can use the tub too!)
1 Shot of Bourbon (optional)

Instructions:
1. Cut your apples into fourths.  Place in a large pot and fill with water, just enough to cover the apples.
2. Add the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, and all spice and boil on high for one hour.
3. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 2 more hours.
4. Remove from heat and let cool.  Once cool, use a potato masher to mash up the apples until they are the consistency of pulp.  
5. Place a strainer over a large bowl in the sink and pour the mashed apples and spices through the strainer.  Take any chunks that collect in the strainer and wrap them in a towel, and squeeze over the bowl to get out any remaining juice.
6. Reheat the cider on the stove top until warm and pour into your favorite mug.  
(If you're making it alcoholic, add in one shot of bourbon)
7. Top it off with whipped cream and garnish with a cinnamon stick.  Enjoy!



Do you have any favorite autumn time traditions or recipes that you love to break out this time of year? I'd love to hear them!



Thank you to Shop Ruche for providing the outfit shown in this post.
Outfit Details: Hat, Blouse, Skirt, Shoes

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *