Well, hey there.

I’m Kelsey DeLange: wife, mother, encourager, and the artist behind Honey and the Hive. Welcome to By Honey and the Hive, a lifestyle journal dedicated to living intentionally, crafting a beautiful life, and seeking magic in the every day.

Kelsey DeLange

There's Snow Place Like Home

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around these parts!  Last week we got our first big snow storm of the season, complete with the first snow day off of school and ever since we've been stuck inside a little snow globe accumulating more and more of that sparkly white stuff outside.  I love living in Michigan around the holidays because we never have to dream of a white Christmas, it's kind of a guarantee.



Just as it's cold and snowy outside, it's toasty and cozy inside as we've started to trim the tree and put up our holiday decorations.  I love how magical it all feels this time of year, bringing the greenery inside, twinkle lights everywhere, and a big collection of brightly colored bottle brush trees adorning every shelf in sight.  There's always a holiday candle burning and way too much hot cocoa being sipped around the Christmas tree at night - I'm truly a sucker for the holidays.

Since we moved into our home last year we've been doing renovations, painting, and bringing in new furniture to make each space truly feel like home.  Continuing with our updates, and with the holidays right around the corner, the next room that I knew I wanted to work on was our entry way.  I really wanted it to feel like absolute magic the moment you walked into the door, with a cozy little spot to take off your boots and hang your hats from the snowy weather outside.  I also wanted to make this space a functional center for our home with a lot of storage and purpose.  We were lucky enough to get to partner with Overstock.com to create the perfect holiday entry way!


With the three of us, and two dogs it's easy for things to start to pile up - especially in winter time when everyone has coats, hats, scarves, mittens, boots, and about a dozen other things to wrap up in before braving the cold.  One of my favorite pieces that we brought into the entry way is this beautiful mid-century inspired chest.  It's a gorgeous anchor for the room, but beyond that it is the perfect storage solution - everyone has their own drawer (the dogs included!) so there's no clutter, and we haven't lost a mitten yet this year - which with a 6 year old is a huge accomplishment!  The oversized mirror, antique-style task lamp, and both of these vases filled with greenery and a few seasonal blooms make this such a gorgeous focal point which I love because it's the first thing you see when you open the door.






On the other side of the entry we created a cozy little spot to sit down, hang your coat, and kick off your snowy boots.  I really loved this industrial style bench - the darker tones and wood seat look so great in here with all of the darker wood work.  Paired with my favorite chunky knitted throw blanket and a cute throw pillow it's the perfect amount of cozy.  I also love plants and greenery and sneak them into just about any spot I can - I loved this vase and filling it with a little dried eucalyptus is perfect - I love it next to the cool blues in the pillow.  (Also,  little hack - adding a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil to dried plants/ faux plants is a great way to freshen up a room - it's such a clean and relaxing scent!)





For above the bench, we choose this coat rack - I absolutely love how it looks in here, it's like it was made for this space.  Our home doesn't have a traditional fireplace mantel which is something I've always felt that I was missing out on around the holidays, so the ledge of this coat rack made for the perfect solution and getting to decorate it was a lot of fun for me.  I opted for a few of my favorite holiday prints in some cute frames, a felted garland, and of course some bottle brush trees for a cute, festive pop of color.  It is so perfect for the holidays, and it will be a lot of fun to switch up the decor up there during the different seasons.



Finally, we decked out the bannister with seasonal greenery, and hung our stockings!  I loved this framed chalkboard and wanted to add some cute, festive hand lettering - this is another piece that I know I'm going to love switching up throughout the seasons and different holidays during the year!  I added a few of these baskets throughout the entry for some extra storage.  This one is perfect for big blankets like my Pendleton blanket and a few cozy throw pillows, and there's one on the other side that Dallas puts his backpack in after school - it doesn't seem like much but having a "home" for his school things makes the mornings go so much easier, hooray for no more hunting down his backpack before heading out in the morning!


I truly love how this space came together, it gives me all the happy feelings coming in from the snowy weather to a space so festive and fun.  Have you started decorating yet?  I am so excited to finish up the rest of the house!


Once again I want to thank Overstock.com for helping us to truly make this a dream space!  I've linked all of the products we loved throughout this post so that you can check them out yourselves too!

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *